Registration covers both producers and the brand names of the packaging they place on the German market for the first time. In order to register, the following registration/master data needs to be provided:
- Producer name and address. The Verpackungsgesetz (Packaging Act) requires the Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister (Central Agency Packaging Register – ZSVR) to publish this information.
- VAT number or taxpayer reference number. The Verpackungsgesetz requires the ZSVR to publish this information.
- Brand names under which packaging is placed on the market. The Verpackungsgesetz requires the ZSVR to publish this information.
- Contact information for the producer (phone number, postcode). The Verpackungsgesetz requires the ZSVR to publish this information.
- Name of a designated person / additional contact person where applicable
- National identification number (e.g. commercial register number)
- Declaration of system participation, or declaration of participation in a so-called sector-specific solution
- Declaration that the application is not being made through an appointed third party
- Declaration that the information is true
Due to the broad definition of 'producer' under the Verpackungsgesetz, you can only register as a 'producer', and not as a 'retailer', 'distributor', etc. In addition to this registration, producers must ensure that their packaging that is subject to system participation participates in a system under their registration number. This must also be confirmed during registration. Certain parties under obligation will have the option to participate in a sector-specific solution for some packaging that is subject to system participation.
Everything at a glance: You will find all answers to all common questions in our overall FAQ: